About The Gleaner
Business Directory
Calendar of Events
Caribbean Media
Free E-mail
  Financial Gleaner
  Gleaner Online
Gleaner Classifieds
Government Websites
Guest Book
Jamaican Studies
Jamaican Personalities
Inside Customs

Live Radio
News by E-mail
Non profit classifieds
People Search

Politics & History
Returning Residents
The National Anthem
Tour Jamaica
Youthlink Jamaica
Views of Jamaica
  Greeting Cards
Welcome to the Returning Residents Information Guide
Home | Clearing a Car | Duty Schedule | Eligibility | Importing a Car | F.A.Q
Personal Effects | Prior to Shipment | RR Services | Tools of Trade
This information is printed with permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade. For further information, please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade at 21 Dominica Drive, Kingston 5, Jamaica Tel (876) 926-4420; Fax: (876) 929-6733. E-Mail: mfaftjam@toj.com

After the vehicle is landed; documentation must be obtained and given to a Licensed Customs Broker who will interact with the Customs Department on behalf of the importer. When the documents have been processed by the Customs Department and found to be correct, the licensed customs broker will make payment of all duties, taxes, etc. on your behalf. The broker may then proceed to the clearance point (e.g. wharf, airport, etc.) and effect clearance of the vehicle.

Apart from the Import License issued by the Trade Board, which authorizes the importation of the motor vehicle, the following is also required:

  • Title - ownership documents which helps Registration to classify the motor vehicle for Certificate valuation purposes and is provided by the owner.
  • Invoice - for a new motor vehicle (less than 3000 miles) an invoice is needed from the supplier.
  • Bill of Lading - provides information about the particulars of the vehicle, the date it landed in the island, and at which port of entry. This is obtained from the Shipping Agent.
  • Bill of Sight - this is a document on which details of the motor vehicle being imported are recorded. This is obtained from a Licensed Customs Broker.
  • Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN) - a unique nine-digit identification number required for the transaction of business with all Revenue Departments (including the Customs Department). This is obtained from the Revenue Board.
  • Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC) - a document issued as proof that payments of tax liabilities and wage-related statutory deductions are up-to-date. This is obtained from the Revenue Board.
  • C78/Import Entry - this is the primary import document on which all particulars of the motor vehicle, the importer, shipping information, etc. are recorded. This is prepared and submitted to Customs by a Licensed Customs Broker.

Putting the Vehicle on the Road

Before driving on the public road, prior to removing the motor vehicle form the wharf, you should obtain motor insurance coverage through an insurance agency or broker. On clearing the vehicle, and having paid the relevant fee at the nearest Taxpayers Service Center or Collector of Taxes of the Inland Revenue Department, a Certificate of Fitness should be obtained from a Motor Vehicle Examination Depot to indicate that it complies with Jamaica standards, for example, please note that in the case of vehicles imported from North America an other territories where one drive on the right side of the road, it is necessary to adjust or change the vehicle's headlights prior to presenting it for examination.

Finally, the insurance cover note or certificate, the Certification of Fitness, and the Import Entry documentation should be taken to the Taxpayers Service Center so that the vehicle can be registered, registration plates purchased, and an application made for a Title of Ownership of the vehicle. Each of these items attracts a fee. Drivers should note that if you do not already have a valid Jamaican driver's licence, you can drive in Jamaica on a valid overseas licence for one (1) year only before it is necessary to secure a Jamaican licence.


The Gleaner Online | Jamaican Links | Politics & History


Copyright The Gleaner Company Limited, all rights reserved.
e-mail Go-Jamaica for help, questions, comments.